Once the movers left we started in the kitchen. My thinking was that if the kitchen was situated we would be able to eat, drink, and be marry. hmmmm It didn't happen that way. We got about half was through and gave up. Dave and I couldn't figure out where to put everything. Almost no drawer space and very little cupboard space. What to do?
I then moved on to the kids rooms. I wanted to make sure that they felt like their little space was all situated. I didn't want them to feel in transition anymore. Giving them their space was very important to me and the kids were very excited to help!
Dave had the daunting task of organizing the outdoor closet. We put some shelves in there and then had open space for bulky stuff. He was able to fit all of our Christmas decorations, our camping stuff, winter clothes and accessories, tools, our cooler, and other random things. Amazing!
Since Wednesday we have been hard at work each day trying to get unpacked and organized. I have actually finished the kitchen with a lot of rearranging on my part. We have had a few hickups as I realized that my bathroom and no storage space. The kids luckily does but not Dave and I. There isn't one drawer and under the sink has the normal pipes and then what looks to be a filter or something taking up another 1/3 of the space. What to do?
Then I have done a lot of unpacking and re-unpacking! It started with trying to put Nathan's diabetic stuff away. I put in my closet some shelves and then got all of his stuff organized (2 shelves worth). I was in the middle of showing him everything when they collapsed. I took a breath and told him to walk out of the closet. I then shut the door and decided I would deal with that later. Dave came home from work with the right pegs for the shelves so the next day I decided to try again. I put it back together and showed Nathan. A success...No. After I moved on to putting away the kids books and our movies. I got the books all put away and then told Craig to bring me our last book shelves. He walks over with this little shelf unit, not a regular one. What! It must have been the small shelves that used to be in Dave's closet. It wasn't going to work. I realized that the only thing I could do was unpack Nathan's diabetic stuff and switch shelves. We finally did it.
Little did I realize the re-unpacking was going to continue. Dave and I have been thinking over the Living Room and Dinning Room spaces. Trying to get them to work out. We decided that we want to get bar stools for the kids and use the Dinning area as a computer and reading space. This also frees up the Living room. Then a few extra bills came in and we decided that we had better wait on it and make due with a table and squishing everything together. So we set it up like a normal Dinning area with the books and videos squished in and a Living Room with the computer table squished in. The cable guy comes and says that we couldn't put the computer next to the couches. It had to be in the front by the TV or else he would have to run cable all around and part of it would be by the sliding glass door which is a hazard. grrr So I called Dave and we decided to just get the Wi-fi Internet. This then freed up the computer table. I looked around and decided that I hated how everything was set up. So we changed it. We set up the Dinning area how I originally wanted it (this included taking all of the books and videos off of their shelves and doing them again!) even though we don't have bar stools and probably can't get them for awhile. Then I set up the living room how I wanted it as well. This is how we solved the eating problem.
I haven't taken pictures of any room yet because there is still stuff all over them. Like yesterday I spent most of my time going through Dave's boxes with him. We repacked them in boxes that were the same width but taller. We also got rid of stuff he didn't want saved any more. This helped us consolidate his memories to 3 boxes. Yeah! I need to rebox mine and the kids memory stuff, go through our decoration boxes and still completely unpack Dave and my room. Then of course there are little piles of random stuff that I don't know where to put right now. I have also been doing tons of laundry. I felt like everything was wrinkled and musty smelling so we have been washing everything. Almost done! So I have hope that soon we will be all set and I will send you pictures of a completed home.
3 comments:
Ahh, the unpacking, and reunpacking. The good thing is that when you get done, you will have gotten rid of every nonessential. You are a very brave person to go through all of this. I always hated moving, except it was the way I got my closets cleaned out. I miss you. Love Mom
well I'm tired just reading about it. what a time... good luck. I'm with your mom. its a good way to clean it all out.
You are just amazing!
Post a Comment