Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The 4th of July

Our 4th of July started off a little slow yesterday. Dave and I had different opinions of what to do. He wanted a nice relaxing day. Which I totally get. I wanted a day that was at least a little special for the kids. We finally came to a compromise (after a few tears from me) and enjoyed a very nice day.

First we took the kids swimming.
This was the first time Dad came swimming with us so the kids really enjoyed it. Craig came up with a game called "talents". We each took turns doing a talent in the water (like lay on your side and spin in a circle or put your feet together and swim like a mermaid or the dreaded Mom talent of floating on your back) and then everyone else had to try and do that same talent. I am sure we looked pretty funny but we had a blast. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it because I was in the water too.
Here the kids are doing one last talent that Nathan came up with.

We had just gotten done swimming and were getting ready to leave when Ashton tackled her Dad with some big hugs. She loves her Daddy!

After swimming we came inside and had an indoor picnic. We had hot dogs, fruit, and chip. The kids loved it. The nice part about an indoor picnic was that we were able to watch the movie "Tooth Fairy" during it.
I asked the family to give me a smile and this is what I got!

Later the boys and I decided to go swimming again. We were pleasantly surprised to meet our neighbors there. One boy was 13 and one was 8. We played a bunch of games with them. The first game was "horse" but with jumping in the water. You had to do something cool as you jumped in the water and then everyone else had to do it. If they weren't able to they then got a letter. Later in the evening (after Ashton and Daddy had arrived) we played a game called shark. Everyone picks an animal in the ocean to be (Ashton and I were a team and we were mermaids) then one person is the shark. The shark chases everyone and when they touch someone that person also becomes a shark. We threw 2 life preserver to be the safe zones at each end of the pool. During the first game the boys were being very kind to Ashton and I until they realized that we were fast! We would fly across the water and were the best sharks out there. It was so much fun and I am soooo glad to meet our neighbors.

When it got late we finally came in and made smores in the kitchen. Auntie Debbie had given me the idea to make smores with Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Yum!
Gas stoves have so many uses.

Woops! If you look close Nathan's marshmallows are on fire. Blow Nathan blow!

Yummy family fun!

We ended the evening by sleeping together on the living room floor. No, this was not planned family fun. It is hotter then the sun and no one could fall asleep in their room. At midnight I finally opened up the sliding glass door and we all moved into the living room where the fan could blow the outside air directly onto us. Was it cool air? Not really but better then in our beds. Ashton and Craig struggles the most and didn't fall asleep until after 1:00 a.m. I want you to know that I was a great mother and never got frustrated with them. I think it was because I completely understood! By the way it was 98 degrees yesterday with humidity and we live on the 3rd floor. Just kill me now!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Your 4th sounds very cool, at least while you stayed in the pool. I'm glad you met the neighbors. As you get to know people, your summer will be more fun. It really looks like your kids had a blast. Too bad about the heat. I'd never be able to sleep either.

Lhone said...

wo..wo..how do you make smores with recese's peanut butter cups? share, debby!

It looked like fun. no wonder you were in the pool so much, with all the heat. You're a fun mom, playing the games with the kids.

Terri Burnett said...

Looks like a lot of fun. We do s'mores over
the kitchen stove, too, but not with Reese's. I'm glad you were able to do some fun activities!
Love the pics.
Aunty Terri