Saturday, July 10, 2010

Joseph Smith's Home

Saturday morning we went to Joseph Smith's home. We were able to see their log cabin. They had a big family with 9 children living here. Amazing!
Joseph Smith's log cabin home.


Here is the kitchen. Notice the family bible on the table open to James 1:5.

Master bedroom

The last daughters bedroom. It is right off of the master bedroom

Somehow I didn't get the bedrooms in the attic space. There were two beds where the 6 boys slept and then a little room off of that with one bed where two girls slept. The Smith's added to the house the room downstairs when they had their 9 child a baby girl. How did the boys feel when she got her own room and they had to share 3 to a bed and 6 to one room? They probably didn't care because they are boys!
Here we are by the Smith family garden with the sacred grove in the background.

Down the lane they built a new home for the family. It was a bigger house that later Joseph and Emma lived in with his family.
I believe this house was mainly built by Alvin (Joseph's brother). He wanted to make it really nice for his mother where the whole family fit comfortably. I loved all of the fences that they had put around the houses and their fields. This is a beautiful home. We weren't allowed to go upstairs but they said that Joseph and Emma stayed in the front right bedroom.
Their big beautiful kitchen. Alvin especially wanted a big kitchen for his mother.

The Living room.

A room off of the Living room. I believe it is the Master Bedroom.

Two girls shared this room right off of the kitchen. They told the story that one evening a mob came to find the Gold Plates. Joseph Smith wrapped them up and then put them between his two sisters who were asleep. The mob looked everywhere in the house but never woke up the girls. The Gold Plates were safe.
This is the fire place in their Living room. Joseph hid the Gold plates here under these bricks one night. The mob came and looked everywhere they could think of. The Gold Plates were safe.
This is a back building that the Smith's used to make and sell barrels. One night Joseph got word that a mob was coming. He hid the Gold Plates under the floor boards in here. He left the building and had a bad feeling so he went back. He moved the Plates from under the floor to up in the rafters. The mob came and looked everywhere. They even pulled up the floor boards. No one thought to look in the rafters. The Gold Plates were safe.
Here we are at the back of their farm. What a beautiful place to live. I loved to hear all of the stories about Joseph Smith. As they told the stories I could picture them happening. I especially loved seeing some of the different places that Joseph hid the plates. It must have been a very scary time for the smith family. I have always loved church history but I feel like I want to read up on it again. It has become more real since I can now picture some of it. We really loved being here.

4 comments:

Lhone said...

I am amazed that the pioneers can rasie their families in that close of spaces. I would go CRAZY!!!

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

I'm so glad you are taking advantage of being in Connecticut. What a great trip.

Lhone said...

my mom told me you had posted more after i commented, and you did! neat how the plates were safe in so many different ways.

Kelly P said...

I love the stories of Joseph Smith. Thank you for bringing them to life.