
What kind of snake is this? The boys came in after they had taken some pictures of it. I was a little startled. It is a huge snake. They found it by the trees right outside of our apartment by the playground area. Before they ran up to get the camera they watched it eat a squirrel. Should I be grateful that it will keep any kind of rodent population down or nervous that there could be other large snakes in the area?
7 comments:
Yikes!! I did a little research, and it looks like it's a common garter snake. They can get as long as 42 inches. The info I read can be found here:
http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildlife/pdf_files/nongame/snkwebview.pdf
It's the first snake they talk about.
Yep, looks like a checkered garter snake to me, too.
it ate a squirrel? ahhhhh!!!!
I guess I always pictured garter snakes as the ones in Mom's yard. They must be water snakes? At least with Mom's snakes I never felt like they were going to bite your hand right off. Well I once had one bite my finger and it would not come off no matter how hard I shook it. I finally had to squeeze it's head to get the jaws to open. It was only 1/4 of this snakes size. I do not want to have to try and remove a snake from one of the kids. Hmmm Where is Craig???
I know, that snake looks way scarier than what I picture a garter snake being. I had no idea that they could get that big. I don't care what kind of snake it is, if it's that big, I don't want anything to do with it!!
I didn't know garter snakes got that big. Yikes!
That is a scary looking snake, and eating a squirrel puts it in my "stay away from me" category. But isn't a garter snake what I thought it was before I saw the picture? If so, right on mom!
Post a Comment