Sunday, February 1, 2009
Almost killed the boys!
Horse lessons were a little too exciting. We normally have the 3 women at lessons who own horses and are around them all of the time. Of course yesterday we only had one there. (This is how life always is, right) She was holding the lead line of Daniel's horse while I had Craig's horse -you are correct, I am not qualified. The boys had just gotten on the horses when Daniel's suddenly reared up and bucked him off. Poor guy, He didn't have a chance. The horse bucked up and twisted at the same time. He went flying and landed really hard. He screamed and I first started to go straight to him when I realized Craig's horse started to follow me. I stopped the horse and told Craig to keep him still (which sometimes isn't as easy and it sounds while sitting on the horse). Julie Ann was very quick at stopping Daniel's horse from bucking and moved it quickly away from Daniel. Daniel was yelling which was making all of the horses in the arena nervous. So I quickly told him to be quiet but tell me exactly where he hurt. He calmed down and I was able to tell that it wasn't his back or neck, so I started to help move him out of the arena. Julie Ann was taking the horse to the side when both of us noticed another rider lose control of her horse and get bucked off. The horse started to charge straight for Craig. Julie Ann and I both gasped at the same time. We knew there was nothing we could do. I was more afraid for Craig then I had been when Daniel was bucked off. Craig saw the horse coming and very calming backed his horse up. The charging horse missed him by inches. He and his horse just sat there very calmly. It isn't that easy to back a horse up. But Craig did it and kept his horse calm and still. It was impressive. Poor Daniel thought he was going to be done. But no. Julie Ann and I thought it was best that he get back up on the horse. I let him walk and work his leg out (his upper leg, hip, side, and arm all hurt) while Craig did the rest of his lesson. Then we had Daniel get up on Craig's horse first and finally up on the horse that had bucked him off. He was not happy about it and started to cry. We kept him on there until he stopped crying and sat with authority on the horse. We hope we helped both him and the horse realized that Daniel was in charge not the horse. When we got back to the stable the ranch hand was very impressed that Daniel got back on the horse and told him so. I could tell that Daniel felt proud of himself. I was proud of both Craig and Daniel and very grateful that they didn't get really hurt. Daniel may disagree but it could have been a lot worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good job Daniel! I'm really proud of you for not giving up. Good job Craig! Way to handle that horse. Glad you both made it through the day. Grandma Hatch
OH MY GOSH!!!!! K, totally freaking out!! Almost crying... I'm am soooooo glad that Daniel was able to face his fear. He'll look back at the moment for the rest of his life I would imagine. And, CRAIG!! Wow! That was incredible...Sounds like he had the composure and courage of a grown man, not a young boy...truly amazing. I am sooo very proud to be Aunty to these boys. And, Cindy....YEAH!!! So glad you've joined the blogging phenomenom! :0) It'll be so much easier for us to keep up with each other. :0)
Ok... good thing you have a blog. David was like "yeah Daniel fell off". LITTLE DIFFERENT! Glad we got the real story! I would have been running for the hills, but Blaine would probably agree with that "when a horse bucks you off..." crud. Glad you're blogging.
I Totally agree with you Lisa, Dave didn't really tell the full story and had some facts wrong too. It will be interesting to see us both write about things and see how different they sound. Thanks for everyone commenting.
Post a Comment